‘I’m weaving up a storm.’

Artist Henni Stanley

Mrs Stanley in her studio.
Looking back on her eclectic career in art, she says “the more I do, the easier it gets.”


Henni Stanley, formerly of Oshawa but born in the Netherlands, has tried and mastered a lot of different art and craft: stained glass, pottery, weaving and painting in several different media and styles. Most of those pursuits have included classes and workshops. “At my age, I don’t want to just sit back,” says Stanley who has an eclectic talent and a hunger for continuous learning.




Tole painting was Stanley’s first venture into
commercial art. Although she still has the
special paints, she rarely works in that media now.
As this tray suggests, that is a pity.
When did this creative journey of yours start, Henni?
Back in 1995, I got interested in tole painting ─ painting on sheet metal, things like serving trays with painted flowers ─ and I took every class I could find. Toronto, Halifax, Fredericton. Then I was hooked.

In a totally different vein last fall, you were showing some rather stark yet impressive paintings at O’Toole Gallery.
I have never done cutesy. I prefer something more whimsical. What you saw last year was what’s known as decor painting and those pieces were actually based on samples in a book for new painters that I was following at the time. It was appealing because, for me, it was instantly gratifying and not too expensive.

So, in a manner of speaking, some of those oils were practice studies.
Well it’s all a learning process and that work actually helped me develop my style, even influencing my primitive art. I’m always getting ideas and then I need to stop and ask myself, “Where do I really want to go now?”

Where did you go?
I love texture, the feel of things, the “real dimension” as I call it. I found that in potting and I’ve found it again in weaving. When I’m at the loom, I can let the world go by.

“I wove all winter,” says
Stanley seen here modelling
one of that season’s shawls.
“And I still have lots of questions.”
How did that interest come about?
Woodstock Weavers displayed their work at a place where I used to waitress and I loved the look and feel of their stuff. And I was always fascinated by the demonstrations at King’s Landing. Then this winter I took online classes given by a weaver from Cape Breton. I already had my loom and so I practiced for months. I also took classes in sewing and spinning ─ turns out that I’m not a spinner but I learned a lot about wool. There’s always been a weaver in me and I’ve finally let her out.

Are you planning to sell this work?
I’m not at that point yet, I give it all away. But it is a labour of love and I enjoy the actual weaving even if dressing the loom (getting the yarn arranged, etc) is very labour intensive. The more I do, the easier it gets and I’m also taking more courses this summer at the N.B. College of Craft and Design. I’ve even developed a loom addiction.

Loom addiction?
Yes, I just bought another one. It’s a small antique table loom that the government used to send to women out West so they wouldn’t get bored. And when I did some research on my first loom, I found out that it had been made near here, in Millville, sometime in the 1940s or 50s. It had been rescued from a craft school in St. Andrews.

Of all the different things you’ve tried, what is your favourite?
Painting is my love. This summer I’ll go back to oil.

After joining the Woodstock Art Club in 1995, Stanley has painted in a variety of media.
This watercolour work amply demonstrates her talent in that area.